Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas time, mistletoe and wine and the flu...

Playlist
Various – The Milano Jukeboxes 2003, 2004, 2005
Various – The Best Xmas EP In the World...Ever (CD-R)
Various – The Milano Jukebox 2006
Girls Aloud – Various Videos
Pet Shop Boys – Various Videos
Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music – 21 Songs
Vivaldi – Oboe Concertos
Various – Jukebox Xmas Playlist

Oh dear, oh dear...

Woke at 2:39 – unwell re the flu...

Grabbed a CD to try and get myself back to sleep – but to no avail...

Got up at 3:55 which, even for me on a Christmas Day, is a wee bit early...

Went downstairs with Meg the Black Cat and listened to the last three “best tunes of the year” compilations I’d made up for Anne, whilst trying to doze on the settee – again to no avail...

Absolutely knackered, returned to bed at 7:36, hoping against hope for some respite from the voices in my head and stupid unfocussed thoughts which were whirling around in there, keeping me awake – when really it was the incessant coughing and sniffing and throat clearing which was doing the damage...

So Merry Christmas!!



Up again around 10 after possibly 90 minutes’ sleep...

Normally I’d be on at Anne to get downstairs and open the presents asap, but today I took my time to shave (both face and head) shower and dress, all to the accompaniment of “The Best Xmas EP In the World...Ever”...

It comprises:-
Slade’s “Merry Xmas Everybody”
John Lennon’s “Happy Xmas (War is Over)”
Gary Glitter’s “Another Rock’n’Roll Christmas” (funny how that one doesn’t show up on the shop bought compilations anymore)
Greg Lake’s “I Believe in Father Christmas” and
Wizzard’s “I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday”

...before making it down to the living room – hell, I even made coffee and croissants (well heated up the latter anyway) and we had our breakfast before opening the presents...

No CDs for me this year (let’s face it, I buy far too many anyway) but three excellent DVDs, two by Girls Aloud and one from Pet Shop Boys and, of course the recently arrived USB turntable which will require to be set up over the next few days...

In the afternoon, to the accompaniment of Mr Vivaldi’s Oboe Concertos, we drove to Anne’s sister’s to pick up her mum and take her to her son’s house for dinner...

Ollie and Kitty were on good form and I look forward to spending some time with them tomorrow...



We had a quick drink at Keith and Maureen’s whilst perusing the various CDs, DVD’s Playstation games etc which Maureen’s two girls had received...

Then out to Loanhead where my sister, Pam, was in charge of matters. Mum was in fine fettle (she’s always buoyed when Pam’s up from her home in Hemel Hempstead) – they are like two peas in a pod...

As the ladies chatted, and Pam ensured everything was running to the timetable, I plugged the jukebox into my dad’s hi-fi and compiled a Xmas-day-background-music-hits-through-the-ages playlist...

Other sister Sheila and our two nephews, Andy and Alastair arrived, more presents were exchanged and dinner was served – Pam did brilliantly, since there was just the right amount for all – none of the old huge turkey going to waste scenario – and her veg were just right – though Alistair and I were completely against parsnips of course cos they are minging...

The main course was bookended by my mum’s home-made prawn cocktail (though I don’t think she actually caught the prawns herself) and a choice of trifle or lemon cheesecake – and the evening’s fayre was rounded off with cheese and biscuits and coffee and After Eights...



Later on, the boys’ dad, Andrew Snr arrived – he had had to work today – and, later still, Ali’s lovely girlfriend, Julie came by too..

Ali’s recently become a plumber’s apprentice and is getting right into it – playfully arguing the toss with Pam re how long it should take to fit a kitchen (Pam’s husband Richard was a fitter to trade so she knows a thing or to about it)...

Around 9, my coughing was becoming very annoying indeed and we were forced to say our farewells and head home to Meg the Black Cat...

I was tempted to stay out of bed though by both “The Vicar of Dibley”, which I’d never watched before but which I found to be quite good – and “Little Britain” which, as ever, had its moments...

Decided to sleep in the back room on the sofa bed tonight to give Anne some peace...

Another year over...

Highlight of the Day : Presents and families

3 comments:

lins said...

merry christmas cloudy! Hope you're enjoying girls aloud... cya in 2007!

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas from another Linds...the one in France. Nice to see the photos of the family...I remember when those nephews were titchy. Moira and Lex (who have been here for a month) say hi too.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Hey Lindsay P!

Merry Xmas to you, Guy and Moira and Lex - a month in France - lucky people!!